Wednesday 18 July 2018

Short Sojourn: Solo Paris Day 2

This morning I woke up still feeling rough, though I did sleep a little better. I took my time getting ready and left not much before 11, for a long stroll down the river Seine to the Eiffel Tower. It was a long walk (an hour) but a pleasant one in the summer sunshine. I got a glimpse of the tower the whole way, although when I got up close I saw it had construction all around the bottom. Oh well, I ticked that one off the list, an essential part of any visit to Paris.



Then I walked halfway back to the Musee d'Orsay, which had been recommended to me but I had never actually visited myself. First I had lunch in the cafe which was fine (baguette and water), then I spent quite a few hours exploring the museum. It isn't huge, but boy is there a lot to see! The building itself is really cool, it's in an old train station which was built for the world's fair and still has that amazing style to it. Inside it super sleek and modern looking despite being filled with so much old art.







There was so much cool stuff to see, I do enjoy French art! Lots of Rodin, Cezanne, Van Gogh, Monet, Manet... All the best ones. I particularly love Monet and Van Gogh are my favourites and I do love seeing them up close. I spent a good 3+ hours just wandering and admiring the art, so peaceful and reflective. It was a really pleasant way to spend the day.













After that I wasn't feeling so well with the cold getting worse, so I braved a pharmacy in French to get myself some cold and flu medication and had a rest before dinner. For dinner I went just around the corner to a French restaurant called Poulette. I had a basil lemonade, with duck for entree and octopus with pea puree for mains. It was super delicious and I have started to enjoy dining alone with my Kindle for company.







On the way back to the hotel I went the long way and found a gelato place! Perfect dessert. I got lemon and blackcurrant, really yummy and the perfect finish to the evening as I headed back to the hotel for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......