Tuesday 17 July 2018

Short Sojourn: Solo Paris Day 1

After such a terrible evening, during which I melted but also couldn't breathe because my whole face was blocked up, I slept terribly and let myself sleep in. Which meant that I didn't get up until after 10, but that's okay. First thing I headed to the Montmatre area of Paris, which was about a 45 minute walk from my hotel. My intention was for today to be fabric shopping day!

I started at Les Coupons de St Pierre, on the Place St Pierre. It is the biggest and linked to Marche Saint Pierre which is across the street. The coupons are precut lengths (mostly 3m) which are labelled with prices and ready to buy. Super convenient for people like me who want to buy fabric, but are terrible at French! I picked up a cut of poly which I think will make a nice slinky dress and maybe some pajamas, and a 2.7m cut of a gorgeous African wax cotton. I had actually looked for wax cotton last trip to Paris but at that stage could only find it in 6m cuts, which is way too much for one person! So I picked up those for €10 each.



Then I decided I was hungry and had lunch at the most convenient nearby place, which happened to be a McDonald's... Oops? It was tasty though and quick, which is what I wanted. Then I headed back up and went up what felt like a trillion steps up to the top of the hill to the Sacre Couer to check it out. When I had checked the opening times on Google I had read warnings about scalpers who the strings on you and then make you buy them, and being on my own I was worried about them, but I didn't even see anyone like that which was reassuring. There was no queue to get in, even! It is gorgeous inside and I spent a while admiring the gorgeous architecture before heading back down those many steps.



Back down the hill I noticed another coupon shop I hadn't seen before, Sacres Coupons on Rue d'Orsel. In there I found another few pieces, one of cotton and one poly, which weren't 3m cuts but were such lovely fabrics. They set me back another €25 for them both. And then, on my way back to the route to the hotel, I found in the "3m for €5" bin out the front of Les Coupons de St Pierre which had some lovely cotton in... So I got 2! Doing well then.






Then I headed back to the hotel to have a brief rest and drop off my purchases, before heading out for a walk in the opposite direction to a fancy sewing shop called Anna Ka Bazaar. They are known for their lovely curated selection and the line of fabric Atelier Brunette, which they make themselves. So I splurged on a length of Atelier Brunette sweater knit to make another Linden sweater like my favourite sweater from last autumn.

On my way back to the hotel I stopped at a patisserie to pick up some macaroons for dessert, and dropped those and my purchases back in the hotel again (they are delicious, by the way). Then I headed out to dinner to a creperie nearby which I had noticed the evening before. I had ham and goats cheese for main, and honey and lemon for dessert with homemade lemonade, which was delicious and also hopefully helped me with my cold as well. I took my friend Bri's advice and brought my Kindle with me to dinner which was great advice which I will do again, it helped pass the time without being on my phone.

Now I'm settled back in my room, nibbling my macaroons and typing this up. Then Netflix before bed! Hopefully I'll sleep better tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......