Sunday 28 May 2017

Weekend Away: Cardiff

This morning was a relatively slow start, after such an early morning yesterday I needed a little bit of a sleep in! Today el Husbando and I did our own things (ie. He went off riding his motorbike around Wales for the day), and I was left to my own devices. Once ready for the day, I went to Queen Street station to get a train to Caerphilly for the day... Only to realise that the next train was an hour and a half away! Turns out there aren't that many trains to Caerphilly.

 

So I went back to wander the lanes for a little while before returning to the station. Caerphilly is a lovely (if small) town. The castle is very cool, the largest in Wales and second largest in the UK. It took a good couple of hours to explore the Castle properly and read all the stories... And there were dragons too!

 

 

Then I got the train back to Queen Street. I headed to Castle Street (funnily enough, the street outside the Castle), to do a little souvenir shopping, before heading back to the hotel for a rest. I found myself walking past a place called Science Cream, so I had to get myself some liquid nitrogen ice cream! Brown sugar and cinnamon flavour, with toasted marshmallow on the side... Delicious.

 

Once el Husbando returned, we got dressed up ready for dinner. Tonight, we headed into the city rather than to the bay, and we noticed the difference. The city was more... Busy, but also more run down, more drunk people and things. Anyway, we found a lovely pub for a drink (I drink gin and tonic now) and a delicious meal (chip shop platter). Then, more ice-cream for the walk home, followed by another drink at the hotel bar. Now, time for bed.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......