Thursday 13 April 2017

Cultural Experiences: Churchill War Rooms

Churchill War Rooms

One weekend, a few friends from outside London came into town to visit the Churchill War Rooms and invited us to join them!

It was a very interesting place, however, come prepared for a lot of reading and a lot of learning. It's intense! The War Rooms themselves were the most interesting part for me, they are almost exactly as they were left when the war ended. The mannequins which they've put in a almost quite realistic. I knew about the war rooms and what they were used for, but I had never realised the extent of them, or the number of people that were down there. It must have been an amazing and stressful experience to be a part of it. They did include stories, both written and audio, from people who worked there: guards, secretaries, even officers. I like to know the stories of the people behind these things.


Inside the War Rooms as well is an exhibition space, which had an exhibition on the life of Churchill himself. Turns out he was a super interesting man! I knew a little about his later life from my knowledge of war history and watching the Crown, but this was really in depth. The biggest issue that all of us found with the exhibition was that the layout went round and round in circles, and we found it a little confusing to make sure you saw everything. Also, there was A LOT of stuff to look at. But it was very interesting, and I think I learned a lot.


Definitely something for people interested in history, particularly in war history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......