Thursday 13 April 2017

Day Out: St Albans

St Albans

13 April 2017

Today, the last official day of my holidays before Easter, I decided I wanted to get out of London for the day. So I headed to the ThamesLink train out of St Pancras International, and journeyed a whole 20 minutes out to St Albans!

 

The main reason I had gone to St Albans was to see the cathedral and Abbey. They are so lovely, and there's lots of delightful green space around there as well.

 

 

After wandering down to the main park, I realised that St Albans also was a town in Roman times - they even have the remains of a Roman wall and gate! I would have stayed and read my book or knitted in the sun, if the sun had been out...

 

 

Instead I ended up in what is arguably the oldest pub in Britain (with records going back to circa 973 AD!), Ye Olde Fighting Cocks. And yes, the name made me laugh. It also happens to be award winning food, so instead of reading in the sunshine, I read with my mushroom burger and a LLB in the pub. It was lovely.

 

  

After a lot of walking (and I went for a run this morning to), after that I decided it was time to head home. I might come back again one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......