Thursday 13 April 2017

Cultural Experiences: V&A Undressed

Undressed: A Brief History of Underwear

Victoria and Albert Museum

A few weeks back, I had a spare few hours, so I decided to head to the Victoria and Albert Museum today to check out the exhibition Undressed: A Brief History of Underwear. While I have yet to sew any underwear, it was super interesting for anyone who sews. The foundation garments of any outfit dictate, and influence the current fashions of any era.


(cotton and whalebone corset, about 1890)

I loved to see, in particular, how corsets have changed and been affected by fashions. I own a corset (which I wear for costumes), and a few waist trainers which I wear on occasion.


(arctic padded petticoat filled with goose down)

One of the pieces which I thought was quite cool (and seasonally appropriate for London) was a padded petticoat filled with goose down for warmth! I would love one of those.


(Tuileries, Lanvin-Castillo S/S 1957)

I think my favourite piece though, was this gorgeous dress from Lanvin-Castillo's Spring/Summer 1957 collection. I constantly find myself drawn to dresses of this era, and I love the even earlier vibe of that almost bustle that it has going on. Super gorgeous.

I would have recommended this exhibition to anyone interested in lingerie and it's history, or even just historical fashion. Unfortunately, it is already closed, but I was pleased by the fact that I didn't need to book in advance. Would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......