Sunday 8 March 2020

Theatre Trip: Endgame and Rough for Theatre II

ENDGAME and ROUGH FOR THEATRE II

Old Vic Theatre
Date: 6 March (Friday), 7:30pm
Seats: Lilian Baylis Circle Row E15-18

(Seen with Jess, Viddie and Karla!)

This was a night! It was a long week but I was excited for the theatre tonight. Originally, Richard was supposed to come, but he was feeling super tired so he let me offer his ticket to Karla and she was free, so it was girls night! As usual, we met at a McDonald's (Waterloo, as it's super close to the theatre) for a quick dinner first. I loved being back in my old neck of the woods!

This play was actually two plays, both by a playwright called Samuel Beckett. I actually know nothing about Beckett or his plays, and we had bought these tickets well in advance due to the actors in it... Alan Cumming and Daniel Radcliffe!

Alan Cumming is one of those actors most people have heard of but don't know what they're from, but I know him from recent things, like the Good Wife, but also things from my childhood: primarily, the Spy Kids and Josie and the Pussycats movie! And then of course, Daniel. Harry Potter. It has been a dream to see him live and finally it's happened!

The first play was only 25 minutes, and it was called Rough for Theatre II. It was a really shory and interesting play with a third man on stage the whole time, silhouetted in a window and ready to jump. The other two characters (Alan and Daniel) were discussing whether to let him jump or not by analysing his life. I really enjoyed it and it was rather funny in an absurd way.

Actually, both plays were absurd, although I think I preferred Rough for Theatre II. After the interval, there was the longer play, called Endgame. I also found it quite funny, although it was much more weird. I'm actually not sure I can fully explain it, but on this particular Friday night I was in just the right mood for that kind of crazy humour, and I was in hysterics!

After the show, we went out, around and waited in a queue. They checked our tickets, then let us back into the foyer... To meet Daniel Radcliffe! It turns out most evenings he does signings after the show. We waited our turns and when it was mine as he signed my program, our conversation went like this:
Me: "Can I ask you a stupid question?"
DanRad: "Of course, go right ahead."
Me: "Does it hurt, going up and down those ladders all the time every night?"
DanRad: "Actually, less than you'd think. You do get used to it too. I like doing the ladder tip every night though."
Me: "Oh, I thought that was a mistake!"
DanRad: "A lot of people think that, and I love that. That's made my day!"
And then he took my phone and took a selfie.



After we just talked for a while, losing our minds and posting our photos all over the internet. He was so nice (like Natalie Dormer!) and I still cannot believe that I got to meet Harry Freaking Potter! Life made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......