Thursday 25 May 2017

Cultural Experience: An evening with Tim Winton

This evening, I did something really cool. I went to a bookstore, and I met Tim Winton!

I discovered Tim Winton for the first time back at school. I had decided college that I wanted to be more 'literary' in my reading (and also all the spots in the speculative fiction classes were taken), so I chose to study Australian literature for a year. One of our assigned books was Cloudstreet. And it completely blew my mind. I remember some scenes vividly from that first reading, the way I felt when I read it, and it had a profound impact on me in terms of both content and writing style. While I've read a few other books, it's Cloudstreet that always stuck with me the most.

  

I discovered this event while browsing books online, as I do occasionally when bored (it's so much better than online clothes browsing). I discovered Waterstone's had a membership system, signed up, and then discovered they did events. So, being in central London, I thought there might be something cool... And there was. I also have a ticket for another event in July I'm also really excited about.

  

I managed to get a seat in the second row, and a glass of wine, and it was great. Tim is about the most Australian guy ever, from the way he dresses to his surfer hair and his proper Perth accent. And he is really down to earth about his life and how it has shaped him and his writing. The event was for his newest book, a collection of autobiographical stories and essays (The Boy Behind the Curtain), which I have to admit I haven't finished yet, but some of the stories are so fantastical they're hard to believe!

 

After the interview, there was time for a few questions, then lined up for the book signing. I actually bought a new copy of Cloudstreet to reread it after I booked my ticket, and I brought that book with me to get signed (it was my first, and is my favourite). He actually apologised when I mentioned I first read it at school! He was really lovely, and it was a fantastic night. I'm already looking forward to the next event!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......