Monday 5 July 2021

Theatre Trip; Constellations

CONSTELLATIONS

Vaudeville Theatre
Date: 4 July (Sunday), 5:30pm
Seats: Stalls, Row R9
(Seen solo!)

Following on from my last post, the very next day I took myself to the theatre! I had decided to see this play alone as a little treat to myself for that weekend (of course, that was when I didn't know I would be going to Wimbledon!). As is usual with plays for me, I knew nothing about the content of the play but only the actors.

This is a two person play which they actually had 4 different casts. This meant that each cast brought something different to it as well - one couple was younger, one older, one gay, and one interracial. I was watching the older couple, featuring the phenomenal actors Peter Capaldi and Zoe Wanamaker! I could not wait to see them in person.

The play revolved around a theoretical physicist and a beekeeper who bond at a barbecue over a love of honey. It jumps around through different phases of their relationships and they play each moment out multiple times. It was really interesting to watch, but unfortunately, it wasn't the best play for my current frame of mind. The play was really interesting, about the relationship as seen through the multiverse. They replayed different scenes with slightly different reactions to show how different scenarios would pan out. I liked that a lot and it made for quite a few great laughs!

The framing device was the thing that got to me - it was framed around the fact that Zoe's character had a big brain cancer that she would only survive for a year, and that she was considering assisted suicide. It hit pretty hard given what else is going on in my life right now, but it was still a great experience. I am really glad to experience seeing Capaldi and Wanamaker live, especially Wanamaker having seen her in My Family and Harry Potter!

My seat was in Row R, which I assumed would be pretty close, but actually it's such a tiny theatre that R is the second back row in the stalls. It was fine in terms of the view, but sadly there was a very tall man right in front of me so I did have to move around quite a lot to be able to see all the time. He moved a lot too so I had to keep compensating! It was distracting but I didn't miss any of the action.

Next up I am (hopefully) going to see Joseph in a week and a half - glad to be seeing a musical, and one I haven't seen since 2008! So excited to be going with a group of friends too as we have 4 tickets!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......