Saturday 14 March 2020

Theatre Trip: The Red Shoes

THE RED SHOES

New Wimbledon Theatre
Date: 11 March (Wednesday), 7:30pm
Seats: Upper Circle N8-9
(Seem with Chloe!)

This week, I saw my first ballet! While one favourite movies is still Centre Stage (so good!), I have never actually seen an actual ballet in its entirety before. And that’s something I’ve wanted to change for a while. This feels like a stepping stone to that experience, as whole this is a real ballet, I’d still like to have the full special theatre and fancy evening out ballet experience, I think.

This came about in a really interesting way. Back at the beginning of March, I Skyped my family and my grandfather recommended Matthew Bourne as a choreographer. He had been to see his version of Romeo and Juliet at a cinema screening in my hometown, and when I looked I saw there was this show on in Wimbledon soon. But I didn’t book it, and then that night my sewing friend Chloe got in touch saying that she wanted to go and asking if I’d like to go too! So she picked up the tickets and we went together.

I really enjoyed the ballet! It was a story I was vaguely familiar with, which I think helped me to understand. I definitely wanted them to start speaking at certain points (it almost felt like they should) but of course they didn't. I think the part that we appreciated the most, as sewists, was the costumes. It was amazing to see how they looked really good as clothes but then also functioned as dancewear. And some of them were so gorgeous! There were definitely a few that I still have on my mind (the 40s style tea dress in a blue striped linen...).

As far as the casting goes, there are at least 2 people for each part in the program, so I went through and circled each for my future records. I don't think I can really speak about favourites though, given I know nothing about ballet and don't know who the dancers are either. Everyone was really lovely and it was a very cool experience.

My next intended theatre experiences are on the 25th March and the 3rd April (&Juliet and Blithe Spirit, respectively), but given the state of the world at the moment, I don't know what is going to happen and if theatres will even be open by then. Here's hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......