Sunday 13 October 2019

Theatre Trip: Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT

New Wimbledon Theatre
Date: 11 October (Friday), 7:30pm
Seats: Upper Circle, G1-2

(Seen with Jess!)

Notes: This trip I had booked quite a ways in advance, not wanting to miss out on this classic Australian  show. It has actually been around for quite a while, but when it was on in Australia I missed it (I don't know how) and I didn't want to miss my chance  again. Priscilla is based on the film from the early 90s which is perhaps one of the most iconic Australian films of all time. Weirdly, Jess has never actually seen it, but I had seen it many times and know it very well. I knew that it could never replace the film, particularly with such iconic actors in it (Terence Stamp, Hugo Weaving and Guy Pearce) and such a bold story.

They adapted the movie into the musical really well. It maintained its character quite well, with most of the iconic moments and lines remaining in the show. The biggest change they made was to the costumes, with none of the costumes from the movie in the show. I assume that was simply logistics, with the three main boys changing costumes into and out of drag quite a lot and needing to be able to sing and dance in them night after night. But the best lines and moments were all there for those who know the movie like me! The accents in the show were quite good too, despite only one actor being Australian (oh, actually, I was guessing about that based purely on the Neighbours and Blue Heelers in his credits - a pretty safe guess though!)

The music in this show is fantastic. It uses songs featured in the movie such as 'Shake Your Groove Thing' and 'Finally' plus so many other chart topping hits. It really has you dancing, clapping and wanting to sing along! As they don't sing (in the film), when the boys are performing they have actresses on stage singing the tunes so that it is still live.

I thought the casting was great on the whole. The biggest disappointment for me was the role they added to the beginning of the show, to ‘warm up’ the crowd I guess. She was Miss Understanding, and she was camp and over the top in the worst possible way. I thought she was tacky and was very glad when, after her initial introduction, she came off stage and barely returned for the rest of the show. For the best, I think. The standout in the main cast was Jacqui Sanchez (Cynthia). Her part was just hilarious and had everyone in hysterics (I was crying with laughter!)

But then there were the three boys! Miles Western (Bernadette) was beautiful and graceful and had a lovely face to pull off drag. Nick Hayes (Felicia/Adam) was absolutely gorgeous - the first time you see him it’s just his butt, and that got a cheer! But he was fabulously camp and made a really good Adam. His acting was also great during the tough moments in the show that he goes through! Then there was Joe McFadden (Tick/Mitzi). He played really well in both the male and female roles, I thought he passed for both really effectively! His is a big role and he really did it well - plus, we got all of that feeling right up the back of the theatre in the cheap seats.

For me, not a groundbreaking show, unlike Preludes, but a fantastic Friday night out after a long week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......