Sunday 8 September 2019

Athletic Adventures: IronMan 70.3 Zell Am See - Day 4/5

It’s race day! While the Husband didn’t start his race until 11am, we headed to the start around 9:30am in order to get prepared and so that I could try and get a good spot to watch the state . This didn’t work at all because I couldn’t see the race start for all the people, not to mention the fact that everyone is wearing black wetsuits, white swim caps (in his age group) and goggles, so it’s virtually impossible to tell who is who!

Either way, I watched the start of the swim and until most of the people in the white caps had at least started the leg back, then I decided to head back to the apartment via a supermarket to get lunch (I felt guilty about yesterday so I had a salad). I had a few hours to eat, chill, do some creative stuff, before I got the notification that Husband had headed through the cycling checkpoint which was the last one before heading back into town. I got ready and headed into town (literally a minute away), but actually I still missed him! He must have been going really fast...

So instead I headed back to the apartment for more chill time, and then headed to a different spot of the race to watch Husband on the run leg. We had looked at the map the night before and worked out a place that I could go to see him in both directions, but once the race had started I couldn’t work out how to get there and picked a different spot. The first time he ran past, he didn’t even see me (even though I thought I was super obvious) because he was so focused on the running and wasn’t expecting me where I was. So then I waited a little bit before he came back past, actually seeing me this time. He made a comment about how hard he was finding the run, although I think by that time he was already recovering a little bit. Then I moved over to the finish, and had a prime spot to cheer and scream as he came running past to the finish line!

I was so so proud of him, and I met him as soon as I could afterwards and we walked (he stumbled) back to the apartment. It took about an hour for recovery and a shower before we were able to get up and walk back to the start to get his stuff. As he was picking it all up (I couldn’t go help as I wasn’t a competitor), the heavens opened and it started to rain. By the time he was done, it was POURING! We ended up walking back in a horrendous rain storm, which mostly lasted until we got back to the apartment but meant we got completely soaked and so did most of the stuff. After that Husband was feeling so tired and ill that he couldn’t even bring himself to go the few minutes out for dinner, so we ordered pizza online and I walked into town (in the rain, best wife here!) to pick it up. We didn’t even stay up that late.

The next day doesn’t even deserve it’s own entry because it was so uneventful. We messaged the owner of our apartment on Sunday to ask about getting a late checkout, which was fine, so the next day we got up late, had a hotel breakfast (walked to a local hotel), and then headed back to chill and pack. We left Zell am See around 1:30 and drove back to Munich for our flight. We didn’t get back to Wimbledon until 10pm, but we were happy to be back in our beds and with the kitties!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......