Wednesday 14 August 2019

Theatre Trip: Once On This Island

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND

Southwark Playhouse
Date: 13 August (Tuesday), 3:30pm
Seats: The Large, Row B15

(Seen solo!)

Notes: This was my second trip (and in fact, second solo trip) to the Southwark Playhouse and it is a very cool venue. Each time the seating arrangement changes, depending on the needs of the show. In fact, the chairs simply lock together, as shown when an usher removed two seats in front of me to make a space for a lady in a wheelchair (very clever and means they get a great seat!) This time it was rather different to Ain't Misbehavin', as the stage was long and skinny and ran the length of the theatre, with seats on both sides. This meant the cast performed in multiple directions at once, which was very well planned and organised.

One thing that was also affected by the chair layout was the set. The floor was painted with a map of the French Antilles, where the musical is set, but all the set pieces were moved on and off by cast members - tyres, boxes, and a ladder on a wheeled platform which was moved around. I thought this really suited both the space and the feel of the show, where most of the cast are peasants and have very little. 

The only thing I knew about Once On This Island going in to the show was that there had been a recent revival at the Circle in the Square theatre on Broadway, and that it had had rave reviews. So I knew very little. Plot wise, it's kind of like a cross between Romeo and Juliet and The Little Mermaid. Because of where it's set, the music almost all has a calypso island feel which gives the whole show a feel good vibe. The only contrasting music is the French sections which have a European waltz feel instead. This makes the difference between the two worlds feel even stronger.

As this is a British Theatre Academy production, it is also an amateur production (I mean, it was fantastic, but I believe amateur means they didn't get paid and I don't believe they did). Despite that, the cast was amazing. Some of them didn't have the strongest voices, but they sang really well and their dance moves were incredible! Highlights for me included Chrissie Bhima (Ti Moune), Jonathan Chen (Asaka) and Elliot Gooch (Armand), whose performances really stood out for me.

I am so glad to have been back to another great show at the Southwark Playhouse! In fact, right after I got home I booked another show there for next month! £16 preview tickets, great productions, and a great theatre... What could go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......