Friday 1 February 2019

Hong Kong Holiday: Day Two

For Day 2, Richard was working, so I had a lazy morning in, sleeping in, chilling in the hotel, and putting in some laundry of Richard’s for him. Richard and I were having lunch with Frankie at a dim sum restaurant of her recommendation, and it had an app with a digital queue. We were number 30, but the numbers went up quickly. It got to 20 about 12:15, so I headed down towards their work, however they had to run over to the restaurant (if you’re not physically there when they call your number you miss out) so I met them there instead. I think I’m getting the hang of these walkways!

Lunch was super delicious (food quality is clearly high in HK) - we had prawn dumplings, crab roe dumplings, bbq pork buns (love them!), spring rolls with prawn, and there was even more. Green tea to accompany, of course. Definitely worth the rushing.

After lunch Richard and Frankie had to return to work, so I decided to walk slowly back to the hotel and explore along the way. Frankie suggested Hong Kong Park, so I headed through the Paradise Place shopping centre to the Park. It is beautiful with lots of lovely lanscaping and fountains. I wandered through all of it, including the bird enclosures. Unfortunately the Aviary was closed, but it is due to reopen soon so I might try and go back later in the week. Then I wandered to its nearest neighbour, which is just across the road from out hotel... the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Park. It is bigger than HK Park but not quite as nice, although it does have quite a few kinds of monkeys and some meerkats you can visit!

On the way back to the hotel I found a supermarket, where I picked up some Pocky to snack on and a drink, then back to the hotel to chill for an hour or so until Richard finished work.

I met Richard back at his work just before 7, and we headed into one of the shopping malls to get me my belated birthday present - an Apple watch! So exciting, although I couldn't open it for hours while we went out afterwards. Then we caught the ferry across the harbour to Kowloon to watch the light show. Unfortunately we were too late to get access to the upstairs area where most of the speakers were, and there were lots of people talking downstairs so we couldn't hear the music very well at all, but the lights were very pretty regardless.

We wandered around the waterfront area for a while looking for somewhere to eat, but couldn't find anywhere that wasn't too fancy and/or too expensive, so we decided to head back into HK central and Richard suggested we go to a burger place he found when he had first arrived. When we arrived, Richard was greeted by the owner/chef, who remembered Richard from earlier in the week and seemed really pleased to see him again. The burgers were incredible (I had Frying Nemo, a catfish burger), and I also had garlic fries which came with truffle mayo and were so delicious! The owner and his wife were so chatty and friendly, they offered us recommendations for our time here, gave us a free drink, and even wanted our pictures for their Instagram! It was so lovely to chat to them and they looked after us so well.

Then it was time to head back to the hotel and set up my shiny new watch before going to bed. Up early to head to Macau for the day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......