Thursday 7 February 2019

Hong Kong Holiday: Day Eight

I had one more day in Hong Kong - I flew out on Thursday evening (actually my flight got delayed and it ended up being very early Friday morning instead), late enough that I actually had time to spend doing things! I had another terrible sleep due to the bad bed and pillows, so gave myself some time to relax a little. I was also sore from lots of walking over the past week. So I wandered around Central for a little while before meeting Richard at his work for lunch. I got to request what I wanted for my last lunch - dim sum, obviously! So we went to a little place where we got some of our usuals (bbq pork buns, shrimp dumplings) and some new ones (pork and quail egg dumplings, which were quite delish!). Richard then had to go back to work, so I headed back over to Mong Kok to make good on some shopping I had been hoping to do a few days ago but hadn’t been brave enough to do. First I picked up a skirt from a store, which was a lovely layered grey skirt with silver stars on it. I saw lots of these styles of skirts in HK and luckily they have elastic waists, so will definitely fit me even though I’m not the same body type as most Asian women.

I also went back to the Ladies Market, where I had my heart set on a Michael Kors handbag. I have wanted one for a long time but couldn’t justify the cost when I already have nice handbags at home. However, I went in and looked at a bag before asking the price. I was quoted $380 (about 38 pounds), but here you haggle, and I had a price limit of $300. So I offered that, and the lady at the stall countered with $350. So I looked at it again, before saying it was too expensive and turning to walk away. But before I had taken a single step the lady grabbed me on the arm, saying ‘okay, okay’ and accepted my price. I was so pleased! I did have to go back, as she took out the long strap by mistake. I was worried that this was a ploy to get more money out of me, just for the strap, but it wasn’t and I got it with no trouble.

After all that tiring bargain shopping, I headed back to the hotel to chill, pack and shower. Richard and I had a quick dinner in the hotel before I headed to the airport. With my flight delayed, there was a lot of passing time, but after reading most of my book we eventually took off and I was on my way to Sydney!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......