Sunday 12 August 2018

Theatre Trip: BBC Proms #40 (Joshua Bell and the Academy of St Martins in the Fields)

Royal Albert Hall
Date: 12th August (Sunday), 4:00pm
Seats: Promming (Arena)

Performers: Joshua Bell (violin/director), orchestra of Academy of St Martins in the Fields

Program: A Midsummer Night’s Dream - overture (Mendelssohn), Violin Concerto no. 3 in B minor (Saint-Saens), Lament (Bridge), Symphony No. 4 in B flat major (Beethoven)

Notes: I really wanted to attend this concert, Joshua Bell being such a brilliant and famous violinist. He even plays a 1713 Huberman Stradivarius! The Mendelssohn was really lovely, as most I did know it already, but I was most looking forward to the Saint-Saens. I wasn’t familiar with that concerto but it was phenomenal! Joshua Bell is simply the most talented violinist I’ve ever seen, he was so great!

The second half the Lament was nice, interestingly it was composed for the Lusitania which sunk in 1915. I stayed sitting for that one because I wasn’t quick enough to stand up. The Beethoven was really interesting to watch. Joshua Bell was not only the soloist, but is the musical director for Academy of St Martins in the Field, and he also leads the orchestra. It was really fascinating to watch him not only play the symphony but also to lead the orchestra, sometimes while not playing and sometimes not playing little sections to better conduct the orchestra. I think it worked very well and the orchestra was amazingly well together.

Our second Prom, and in as many days! It was nice to be back up in the Gallery again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......