Friday 13 July 2018

Cultural Experience: V&A Fashioned by Nature

Today before running some errands in the city, I decided to take myself off to my favourite museum, the V&A, and see what was on. They currently have 2 fashion related exhibitions - however one, about Frida Pablo was fully booked for today (and I suspect quite a few days in advance - I shall book it when I get back from Paris for a later date in the summer), so I instead got a ticket for the one in the fashion exhibition space. It was called Fashioned by Nature, and had two interesting angles.



The first angle was about the history of natural textiles sources. That was interesting, with information on things as basic as cotton to pineapple fibres woven into silk. There was refereence to Australia when speaking about mother of pearl (I didn't realise that about 90% of all the mother of pearl was from the Torres Strait) and loads of samples demonstrating the uses of the different materials.



The upstairs area was devoted to modern day designers who use ethical and sustainable fabrics, including clothes made from glass fibres and a handbag made from mushroom fibres! I was less interested in these designs (too modern for me), but the ethical angle was very relevant and interesting.



The second angle of the exhibition was the use of natural motifs in clothing. This included things as simple as floral embroidery, to embellished dresses covered in jewel beetle shells. They also talked about designs inspired by birds and animals, and had samples of mink, beaver fur, and birds on accessories!



It may have only been a small exhibition, but it was very interesting and I think relevant to the increasingly sustainable focus on fashion over the last few years.

But just you wait... Tomorrow there is even more excitement!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......