Saturday 16 June 2018

West End Live 2018: Day One

Hi all (well, probably just my family)! This blog has changed it's name, and that's because we've moved! We no longer live in Lambeth, but moved to Wimbledon. We now have a much bigger 2 bedroom flat, with space for my sewing room, a bike storage room, a beautiful kitchen, and soon to be a kitten!!!

Today was my favourite free event in London - West End Live. Almost all the theatre shows on the West End put on shows for free on a massive stage in Trafalgar Square. It's madly popular and I've now been 3 times - 2008, 2017 and 2018!

We got in later than we intended (I went with my friends Jess and Michelle!), and actually missed the first show, which was Everybody's Talking About Jamie, but we didn't mind missing that one. We got to a decent spot in time for the second show. All in all, we stayed until about 2:30, and saw Aladdin, Motown the Musical, Wicked, Kinky Boots, Matilda, Bat Out of Hell, Phantom, Les Mis, Tina, Strictly Ballroom, Dreamgirls, Chicago, Mamma Mia, Little Shop of Horrors and Thriller Live.

I think my favourites were either shows I love, or shows I really want to see but haven't yet: Wicked and Matilda in particular for the former, and Strictly Ballroom, Chicago and Little Shop for the latter. I guess I now have my plans for the summer to line up and get cheap seats!!! The new Elphaba (Alice Fearn - it's changed since I saw it last) was absolutely brilliant, I adore Matilda. Strictly Ballroom I think I need to see because it's so Australian and their accents definitely were, but not in a good way. Chicago I've loved for years and it's never been on in a place where I live, and Little Shop I don't know much about, but it's on at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre which is supposed to be a really cool and innovative venue. Oh, the plans!

It was such an exciting atmosphere - for ones with pop songs like Mamma Mia there's a bit of singing along and lots of dancing! There were some annoying tall people, but I guess they can't help that.

I'm headed back tomorrow, to catch Matilda (again) and Heathers which I'm really excited for... Carrie Hope Fletcher is in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......