Thursday 26 April 2018

Theatre Trip: Young Frankenstein

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

Garrick Theatre
Date: 25th April (Wednesday), 7:30pm
Seats: Stalls AA8-9

(With Richard!)

I persuaded Richard to download the TodayTix app recently, as we were talking about going to see Chess (rush tickets), except that yesterday when Richard went to buy the tickets, he accidentally entered the lottery for Young Frankenstein instead! And even though it took me months to win (and even then only got the second chance draw), he won on his first entry!

We had the understudy for the Monster (I didn't catch his name, as I didn't buy a program for my second viewing), who was not as impressive physically but much better in facial expressions and better in singing than Nic Greenshields, who was playing it last time. Also, Ross Noble is no longer playing the role of Igor - which is a real shame. He was incredible last time, and while Cory English was funny, he wasn't that star factor. I did almost feel like he was better suited to being a part of a show though.

The show itself was just as funny as I remembered it! Some of the jokes were updated, but even the second time around they were just as funny. Some highlights were the gag when Igor was getting keys, then dropped them on the floor (not sure if that was an accident or not) and had to look for them again! Hadley Fraser was in such hysterics, he needed a moment to recover and lost it on stage. He also lost it when Igor did 'walk this way' - it was so ridiculous that I though he was just going to refuse to copy it, but he rose to the challenge.

The performances were brilliant. Dianne Pilkington and Lesley Joseph are fabulous actresses, but I do feel a little like they are better suited to bit parts these days. Hadley Fraser I love, he's so captivating to watch. He had a great moment when the back of the board didn't come down, but luckily it doesn't make much difference to the musical number. 

And Summer Strallen - she's the best. Funny, a great singer, and an amazing dancer. Also, potentially the best goof I've seen in ages - during the final number of Act One (Transylvania Mania), while dancing she did the biggest high kick I've ever seen, and she flinched. I could have sworn she kicked herself in the head. And funnily enough, in the next line, as the chorus were singing and she was dancing right on the front of the stage, she said out loud, "Haha, I just kicked myself in the head!" I love that about front row seats, you get the best moments that way.

We also loved one of the swings - found her so captivating to watch and followed her through almost every scene. She was fabulous, Bethan Downing. It was her West End debut so we should keep an eye out for her.

Maybe next time we'll get tickets for the show we actually intend...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......