Saturday 18 November 2017

Theatre Trip: Kinky Boots

KINKY BOOTS

Adelphi Theatre
Date: 17th November (Friday), 7:30pm
Seats: Upper Circle, H12
(With Bri, Patrick and Felicity!)

Notes: Well, this was spontaneous! Bri messaged me around 4:30 this afternoon, asking if perhaps I was free and would like to go to the theatre. Turns out that a friend who was going to go was sick, and I was the first person she thought of! Of course, I said yes. It's been too long since we caught up anyway...

We met at the theatre just before the show, and headed to our seats. We were quite a long way up, but we had no trouble seeing all the action. I think that it was actually better to be able to observe some of the choreography from higher up.

I didn't know much going into this show - it was about drag queens, shoes, and written by Cyndi Lauper. That's it. But the story was surprisingly touching, and the songs were good, while very pop-oriented. I didn't walk out singing any of the songs, which is usually not the best sign, but it was wickedly funny! Also, the Angels (Lola's backup dancers) were incredible - and all guys in drag, that looked fabulous and danced like demons in 6 inch heels. They were amazing.

The leading characters were pretty good. They both had a few vocal hiccups that were definitely noticeable, but they were good. I liked Lola best. One of the things I thought was odd, though, was that even though the show is set in Northampton, all the characters sang and talked in American accents. Being in London, I would have thought it was easier to do Northampton properly...

All in all, a really fun night. While this show wasn't high on my list, I'm glad I saw it. And now, I think I need new shoes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......