Friday 10 November 2017

Theatre Trip: Venus in Fur

VENUS IN FUR

Theatre Royal Haymarket
Date: 8th November (Wednesday), 7:30pm
Seats: Stalls P9-10

Notes: On coming out of this show last night, all I could say was 'woah'. But I should start at the beginning of the story.

Ever since this show opened, I have been entering the lottery every day through the TodayTix app (#notsponsored) and every day, getting the same 'better luck next time' email. Which is what happened yesterday... And then my phone rang at 5:30 just after I got off the train, and it was TodayTix! Turns out when a lottery winner fails to pick up their tickets, they draw a new winner...... THAT WAS ME.

Cue crazy running home to put the payment through, organising what to have for dinner (Pret), and leaving home again without even taking my boots off. We made it to the theatre, with food and plenty of time. I was a little disappointed that the seats weren't front row, but I don't think it mattered, the theatre was quite small anyway.

The show itself was so intricate. There were only 2 characters, Thomas a playwright and Vanda, who shows up late at night, in the middle of a storm, to audition for a play. So there were the characters, and within that, they played the characters reading the play. This included dramatic changes of accent, sometimes with only a second in between. All done flawlessly, of course. And there's even another character. All the characters, 'real' and fictional (yes, it's mildly confusing), were so interlinked. It was funny, and sexy (the inner play is based on a book which helped coin the term S&M), and really touching at times.

There being only two actors, they had to be good, and they were incredible. David Oakes played Thomas, and though I had never heard of him, he was absolutely incredible. And, of course, Natalie Dormer. She was phenomenal, changing not only accents, but also mannerisms in a split second. She had so many lines and was so compelling to watch. Most shows, there's a moment where I wonder how much of the show is left... This show, that didn't happen. At all. I was enthralled the entire time.

Afterwards, we went to the stage door. It was a reasonably long wait, but after about 40 minutes, they both came out. I got signatures from both! I told Natalie that I had won the cheap tickets, and she congratulated me on that and high-fived me! Then, as I had given my phone to el Husbando, I said, "Is it okay if my husband and I grab a selfie with you?" She said, "Of course, come here husband!" He'll be bragging about that forever. And she also called us a lovely couple. She was just the nicest, made time for everyone, called everyone 'my love' or similar, and took photos with all. What an incredible night.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......