Monday 11 September 2017

Cultural Experiences: Harry Potter Studio Tour

After the Last Night of the Proms, we had to be up bright and early the next morning to get to the outskirts of greater London. We were out of the house at 8am, headed for Watford Junction, just a few stops out of Euston station. Then, on a bus, to Leavesden Studios and the Harry Potter studio tour!!!



It was absolutely awesome. Once we were in (I mean, that wasn't awesome, but oh well), there was a short introductory video, then we stood in the Entrance Hall and opened the doors to the Great Hall! The Great Hall had 2 tables, and all the House uniforms as well as many teachers costumes. I was already in awe...





After that it was all self guided. They were running a feature on costumes, so there were many more costumes available than usual. Suits me just fine as a seamstress! 



They also had the Forbidden Forest open too, which was very cool (lots of moving parts and animatronics ). I bowed to Buckbeak, but he didn't bow back so I ran away!



About halfway is the Backlot Cafe, the place to get your Butterbeer! We had a cup each (I got mine in a souvenir tankard), as well as a waffle cone of Butterbeer ice-cream. The Butterbeer was really yummy, although I think that the ice-cream was even better!



Following the cafe, you have to go through a courtyard to the next building. In that courtyard are some exterior sets, including the Knight Bus, Privet Drive, and the Potter house at Godric's Hollow. You can walk through most of them too!





The second half was much more focused on effects than costumes and props, which was interesting too, if in a different way. There were also concept illustrations, and models of creatures like the basilisk and Thestrals.







The last room was possibly the best part of the whole thing... A 1/24 scale model of Hogwarts Castle! It's absolutely beautiful, lit in a lovely way, as you can walk around it and look at it from all angles (and take many, many photos!)





Then, of course, your can't leave without going through the shop... Terribly tempting. I was very restrained this time - I got a Hufflepuff postcard (for me), a Gryffindor postcard (for a friend), a golden snitch necklace, and a chocolate frog. Would highly recommend the chocolate frog, btw. It's solid chocolate, and comes with a card (I got Helga Hufflepuff!!!).



I really really loved the experience, and am already looking forward to going again with my brother at Easter (Hufflepuff bros!). Any Harry Potter fan should see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......