Monday 14 August 2017

Theatre Trip: BBC Proms #38 (All-Night Vigil)

Royal Albert Hall
Date: 13th August (Sunday), 9:45pm
Seats: Promming (Arena)


Program: All Night Vigil (Vespers) (Rachmaninov)

Performers: Latvian Radio Choir

Notes: I didn't even know that Rachmaninov wrote a Vespers, but I read that it is considered one of the greatest Russian Orthodox works. Obviously I don't speak Russian, but the sound of it just washed over me.


The choir, though. Woah. They were basically one person, they were so well together. It was amazing to listen to a choir which sang together so well! And the spot in the arena was fantastic because I could see everything so clearly. You do have to stand up and very still the whole time though, so it is more tiring than the gallery - so I was a bit glad that that was only a short concert (just over an hour with no interval).

Way excessive coughing though between movements. So dumb.

Prom #9 for us (#6 Promming)... That was a late night, but totally worth it. The second half of the program has lots of Russian music, which I am excited for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......