Sunday 7 May 2017

Theatre Trip: Wonderland

WONDERLAND (UK TOUR)


SATURDAY 6 MAY, 7:30

Stalls, T23/24


New Wimbledon Theatre


Cast Changes: Mad Hatter (Carolyn Maitland?).


The musical itself was... Fun. And that's the best word I have for it. The songs were catchy but very forgettable (it's the first time ever I've walked out of a show not singing one of its songs), and there was very little plot (especially in act 1, having to introduce all the characters). It was very bright and well done, but I think the sameness of the music let it down.


 

 


I was interested to see how it would be, after I read that it only lasted 31 previews and 33 performances on Broadway. It did about what I would have expected, but it was fun. Worth the 30 pounds I spent to see Kerry Ellis again, and say that I've seen it. I think I would have been disappointed if I'd missed it altogether.


The performers though, woah. The White Rabbit (Dave Willetts) is a theatre veteran was great, and so was the Mad Hatter, but really, there were 3 characters I loved.


 

 


The Queen of Hearts (Wendi Peters). Not only did she have a great stage presence, her voice was a huge surprise to me (being the token 'star' coming from Coronation Street), but she was powerful and on key. Plus, she had a wicked way of delivering her lines.


Ellie (Naomi Morris). This is her first show and without any full time professional training, she was awesome. Before going through the Looking Glass, she was subdued, but after? Completely different costumes, mannerisms, practically a different characters! Her attitude was so cool, and she was a great dancer. She just constantly looked like she was having fun.


 


And Alice (my fave, Kerry Ellis). 9 years have passed since I first saw her in Wicked... And she is still flawless. Watching her dance in this show was really cool (Elphaba doesn't dance), and the more rock style songs suited her voice. Which is still amazing. She brought me to tears.


Oh, and her Act 2 dress was really lovely (long sleeved full skirted shirtdress with a big petticoat uneasy). I want one!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theatre Trip: Crazy For You (#2)

CRAZY FOR YOU Gillian Lynne Theatre Date: 27 December 2023 (Wednesday), 2:00pm Seats: Circle D 72-73 (Seen with Bri! Or I was supposed to......